Canon A-1 w/ 50mm nFD f/1.8 S.C.
This is Canon's 'pro-sumer' model that represented the top of the line camera in the A Series introduced in 1978. All the mechanicals and electronics are functional. The body and lens are in excellent overall condition and show minimal signs of use, with some very minor but expected brassing on a few black-paint body edges.
The shutter speeds sound reasonably accurate at all settings to my ears, and the PC sync fires appropriately when the shutter is triggered - as does the self timer. The film and battery compartments are clean and clear, and release properly for use. Everything operates smoothly, and both the camera and lens are functional **.
The 50mm Canon 'New' FD standard kit lens is the S.C. f/1.8 version, and is in excellent condition. It has no haze, no fungus, no separation, and no scratches or coating issues or other anomalies. There is a very minimal amount of dust present, but this should not affect photos. The lens focuses smoothly, with full aperture control for both auto and manual modes, on oil-free blades. The lens will operate on any Canon FD mount body, or will also work equally well on many digital bodies with an appropriate adapter.
The viewfinder and mirror are clear with minimal dust and no debris, and will certainly have no effect on overall functionality or the quality of your photos.
The cover for the shutter speed dial is missing, as well as the cover plate for an optional winder's mechanical connector. New winder cover plates are available online for well under $10, should you choose to replace it. The infamous 'Canon Squeal' noise prevalent on A Series cameras is slightly audible, but does not currently affect advancing the film or hinder the shutter. Repair guides are online for help with lubrication instructions.
You will receive the pictured and described camera body and the 50mm f/1.8 S.C. nFD lens with its OEM front cap; as-pictured and as-described, with no other accessory items included, however I will send a new 4LR44 battery.
- **NOTES ON FUNCTIONALITY: The lens has been tested and used separately on Sony full-frame and APS-C mirrorless bodies for digital use, and on the included body to confirm mechanical operations, but the body and/or lens have not been 'film tested' nor are they offered or warranted to be 100% accurate for any measured operations or functionalities due to age and/or modern battery limitations. If your intent is to use the camera with film, it may require new light seals. Seal kits are cheap and easy for anyone to replace them on their own, and without the need for special tools.
- NOTE: Given the current public health circumstances, I will only ship this item in 'Click-n-Ship' approved packaging with scheduled USPS carrier pickups. In this case, it will be a USPS Medium Flat Rate Priority Mail box, with fixed shipping cost to your address, and insured for the full purchase price.
- Price / Bid Open (USD)
- Sold Price:
- Item Condition:
- Used: Tested/Digital
- No Optical Defects
- Full Mechanical Functions
- Full Electrical Functions
- Purchase By:
- Etsy.com - For Sale
- Listing Date/Time
- Aug 17, 2021 - 3:50am EDT
- Buy / Bid Link:
- Open Page